Temporary crowns are inserted at a clinic as a prosthetic stage before permanent bridges or individual dental structures are placed on a tooth or implant. A temporary prosthesis will give protection to the tooth being treated and prevent the risk of it shifting. Soft tissues are not deformed, and the structure plays an aesthetic role after inserting an implant. These prostheses are made of strong plastic and other materials.
Two methods are used in the manufacture of temporary crowns:
- The direct method. Before preparing teeth, the doctor will take a silicone impression of the jaw. Based on the impression, a crown piece is made, which is placed on the tooth, adjusted to fit the size and fixed with a special cement. The procedure lasts for 1-2 hours.
- The indirect method. A temporary crown for an implant or a tooth will be manufactured using a jaw plaster model. A bridgework structure is cast by a technician in the laboratory using up-to-date polymer materials. Then the template is carefully adjusted to obtain an accurate anatomical shape of the tooth. The process takes 2-3 days.
- Metal ceramics.
The type of the temporary structure is selected taking into account the patient’s preferences and tolerance to prosthesis components. The cost of the temporary crown will depend on the type of material, production method and placement complexity.
Indications for placement
Temporary crowns for an implant or a tooth are inserted for the following reasons:
- Prostheses hide prepared teeth and implants well, so the patient does not feel embarrassed when having a conversation.
- The structure will prevent tooth decay and high sensitivity if the nerve has been preserved. A single prosthesis will not allow teeth to shift and stop the gum tissue from growing over them.
- With a temporary crown inserted, the patient will be able to get used to the prosthesis, and a normal gum line will be formed.
- Preserving tooth function. Diction will not change and the chewing ability will be partially restored.
- Eliminating arch defects, when some teeth are missing, the abutment teeth are mobile.
- Implant prosthetics. Before placing a permanent zirconia crown following the immediate loading surgery protocol.
How long the structure needs to be worn is decided by the doctor depending on the type of treatment or the selected implantation technique.
Before inserting the prosthesis, the doctor will perform a full mouth debridement, study contraindications and eliminate them if possible. The stages of temporary plastic bridge placement are:
- Preparing teeth. The enamel, dentine and old filling material are polished to to remove the thickness equal to the structure to be placed. Thus, an abutment for fixing a prosthesis is formed.
- Creating a cast model. If temporary crowns are made using the direct method, an impression is taken by means of silicone hardening mass. The template is filled with acrylic or other material and placed on the jaw. When the polymerization process is over, the mass hardens and the cast model is removed. The obtained model is carefully fitted, polished and fixed with a dental cement. When temporary crowns are made using the indirect method, a cast model of the prepared tooth and antagonistic teeth is made and a plaster template is modeled. The crown piece is fitted in the dental lab with pinpoint precision, so it is impossible to differentiate the crown from a real tooth.
- Fixing the temporary crown with a dental cement.
If the patient experiences a feeling of discomfort after the procedure, the structure does not allow the jaws to close properly, the doctor may remove it, fit it better and polish it.
Advice on taking care of temporary crowns
Only your dentist can decide whether you need temporary prostheses when preparing your treatment and implantation plan. If placed, crowns should be treated with care, otherwise they can be damaged and new ones will have to be made.
- Since they are plastic, it is necessary to avoid eating food containing strong colouring pigments, or the prosthesis will lose its natural shade, stains will appearing and the colour will lose
- Use a medium stiffness brush and paste which does not contain any abrasive particles. Whitening compositions are not suitable.
- Avoid hard and sticky food which can damage the structure.
- Chewing food. Try to chew on the side of the jaw which is opposite the placed prosthesis.
- Use an oral irrigator.
- Use dental floss carefully.
- Visit your dentist as scheduled. The structure is placed for 3-4 months.
If the prosthesis has started moving, you need to visit the clinic as there is a danger of swallowing. The doctor will adjust the position of the structure, make it fit more precisely if necessary and polish it a little more.
Axioma Dental Clinic would like to invite you to a consultation. We can correct any arch defects and give you a superb smile.
Tell about us: