Full mouth prosthetics
Full mouth prosthetics in Saint Petersburg is a procedure performed in case of edentulism, which will restore the chewing function and a nice smile, and you will never feel embarrassed about talking again. Restoring your teeth is necessary in order to avoid negative health implications, such as a changed facial contour, sunken lips and a deformed dental curve. The patient won’t be able to eat and digest food properly, which will increase the risk of gastrointestinal problems. The bone tissue will atrophy.
Applicable methods and types of prosthetics
Full mouth prosthetics may include:
- Dental implants: the All-on-4 technology allows inserting 4 supporting implants at an angle without bone grafting, on which a fixed orthopaedic structure is placed.
- Removable prosthesis: a structure which is fabricated on the basis of an individual impression. It is placed in the mouth, partially covering the palate and the sublingual space.
There are three prosthetic options in case of all missing teeth.
Removable dental prostheses are fixed using different fixation mechanisms:
- Metal arches - bugel prostheses;
- Hooks and locks.
The structures can be removed and cleaned by the patient. Popular prosthetic structures include plastic nylon and acrylic prostheses. The material is soft, does not rub the gum and is convenient to wear. It imitates natural tissues well. In bugel prostheses, an arch is fixed to the existing teeth, usually those in the posterior area.
Indications: it is impossible to use dental implants in case of edentulism or multiple teeth missing. These prostheses are inexpensive and quick to produce, but they don’t last long.
Fixed dental prostheses refer to structures which are tightly fixed by means of a special bonding composition or cement.
- bridgework structures;
These prostheses are made of different materials: gold, zirconium, titanium, ceramics and plastic.
The procedure is used to restore the lower and upper dental arch. It is basically a functional prosthesis which returns the chewing function and a natural smile. Integrated artificial roots provide a strong foundation, so a crown or a bridgework structure of any length can be securely and tightly fixed to it.
- Biocompatibility of root substitutes.
- High strength of the structure.
- Long service life.
- Aesthetics: not different from natural teeth, maintaining the facial contour.
- No risk of bone tissue atrophy.
- Normal chewing.
Implant supported prostheses ensure the best stability of the structure. Because artificial roots are fixed in the jaw bone, the structure does not shift or deform. It can be removed only by a doctor. If there are teeth present, but they are decayed and defective, they can be restored using ceramic crowns, veneers or inlays.
The cost of full mouth prosthetics
The cost of restorative procedures for the lower or upper jaw arch depends on a number of factors:
- Preliminary treatment: eliminating dental conditions which make placing a prosthesis impossible.
- Materials: it may be an acrylic structure, which is an inexpensive option, but it does not last long - up to 3 years. A monolithic bridge made of zirocnia crowns is more expensive, but it will last for decades without being deformed or chipped.
- Techniques: Full removable structures are fixed by means of hooks, and they cost less. In case of implant prostheses, when a super strong artificial root is inserted and then finally a crown or a bridge is placed, the price is higher, but it is the most reliable option.
- Medication: anaesthesia, antibiotics.
- Rehabilitation: scheduled visits to the dentist and additional procedures.
The price may go up in case of a complicated clinical picture.
In case of complete edentulism, placing an orthopaedic structure is not advisable. Other contraindications include:
- Allergy to materials, drugs, anaesthesia.
- Anaemia and poor blood clotting ability.
- Inflammatory processes in the oral cavity (until fully eliminated).
- Neurological disorders.
- Mental disorders.
- Infectious diseases.
One thing to note is that most contraindications are temporary, and there are very few which are absolute. Once the patient has eliminated the problem, arch restoration may begin by means of different methods.
Axioma Dental Clinic would like to invite patients suffering from complete edentulism, irrespective of their age, to come and have their smile and normal chewing function restored.
Tell about us: