Treatment with metal ligature braces is an effective way to correct occlusal abnormalities. Metal ligature braces are traditional appliances used for occlusal treatment all over the world. Such appliances are capable of correcting even the most complicated malocclusion.
Metal ligature braces consist of:
- Locks (brackets) for each tooth.
- An orthodontic archwire which connects all the brackets with each other and creates the required pressure to move teeth into the right position.
- Ligatures - small rubber bands or wires. They fix the archwire to each bracket and need to be adjusted and replaced every 3-4 weeks.
- Highly effective and can correct any malocclusion.
- Resistant to chewing pressure.
- Secure fixation.
- Applicable for any age.
- Metal does not stain or change its colour and structure with time.
- The appliance does not affect taste perception.
- Brackets are convenient to use and easy to take care of due to their small size.
- Can be placed either on the vestibular or lingual (inner) side of teeth.
- Bite correction occurs relatively quickly.
- Low-cost appliance.
The only downside of metal appliances is their poor aesthetics. They are visible in the mouth when speaking or smiling. Some people may feel awkward about their treatment and experience psychological discomfort. In this case, lingual or sapphire braces, which have excellent aesthetics, may be recommended.
Indications for use
The appliance is used in the following cases:
- Abnormally positioned individual teeth, dental arches or jaws.
- Open, deep, cross, distal or mesial bite.
- Dental arch deformities.
- Gaps between teeth - tremas and diastemas.
- Tooth crowding, tilting and rotation.
- Jaw asymmetry.
- Tooth impaction (inadequate eruption).
Installing braces and treatment take a few stages:
- The first stage is an oral examination and preliminary diagnosis. After the consultation, an examination of the maxillofacial area is conducted.
- Individual impressions of the patient’s jaws are taken, models are cast and their diagnostics is performed. Radiography, orthopantomography and, if necessary, CT, TRG and other additional examinations are conducted.
- Based on the diagnostic data, the orthodontist makes up one or several treatment plans, tells the patient about the advantages of each and chooses the optimal plan together with them.
- Preparation of the mouth cavity before installing braces. It includes oral cavity treatment (treatment of all dental diseases) and tooth extraction, if necessary. Professional hygiene to remove all dental deposits is a necessary step.
- The installation of braces takes about an hour and is totally painless for the patient. The doctor uses a special kind of glue (cement) to fix a bracket to each tooth at a certain angle and lets it cure under lamp light. After that, the brackets are connected with archwire, which is fixed with ligatures. The patient may choose a ligature colour: white, transparent or coloured.
- Treatment requires periodic visits to the attending doctor, who will adjust and replace the ligatures. It is usually required to visit the doctor every 3-6 weeks depending on the clinical situation and the orthodontist’s prescriptions.
- After the bite is corrected, braces are removed and a retainer is placed. Retainers are necessary to reinforce the obtained result and prevent recurrence of deformity in the dental arches.
Contraindications for use
Before putting braces on teeth, the dentist checks for contraindications: caries, gingivitis, stomatitis, dental deposits and other dental diseases. Bite correction is performed after the contraindications have been eliminated and the mouth cavity has been prepared.
Metal allergy is an absolute contraindication for treatment. In this case, ceramic or sapphire braces need to be used.
Thorough and regular hygienic care is essential in treatment with braces. As the appliance creates a lot of places on teeth where food can be stuck, there is an increased risk of carious lesions. It is necessary to clean teeth using special brushes and toothpaste. Interdental spaces and hard-to-reach places are cleaned with dental floss, an oral irrigator or interdental brushes of varying shapes. After meals, it is necessary to rinse the mouth with water or mouthwash.
Air-flow cleaning, which a professional hygienic procedure, should be conducted every 3-6 months. Good care can help to keep teeth and gums healthy. In case of any problems (a bracket has come off, mucosa has been damaged or any other disturbance), it is necessary to visit the dentist.
Bite correction usually lasts for 1.5-2.5 years. Orthodontic treatment with any type of braces is available at Axioma Dental Clinic.
Tell about us: