Classic two-stage dental implantation
Classic two-stage dental implantation is a technique used to restore any number of teeth in the upper and lower jaws with a delayed load. When an artificial root is implanted into the bone, it takes a few months for osseointegration to occur, after which a bridge prosthesis or permanent crown is placed. The interval between the two stages is from 3 to 6 months. There are quite strict requirements with regard to bone tissue - there must be a sufficient volume of it.
The endosteal dental implantation method is used when it is impossible to achieve good primary stability of artificial roots. Any premature load is not recommended, as it can result in implant failure. This method is more commonly used for the restoration of posterior teeth in the lower jaw and defect removal in the frontal upper jaw area.
- Classic implantation in case of partial or complete edentulism.
- One or multiple missing teeth in the arch.
- Restoration with high aesthetic requirements.
Bone grafting is performed at the same tine as implanting artificial roots.
The classic method of tooth restoration
A two-stage tooth implantation procedure is performed after examining the patient, identifying contraindications and treating damaged or destroyed elements of the dental arch. At the preliminary stage, the doctor analyzes the state of the bone, its volume and structure. A panoramic snapshot of the jaw is taken to rule out the risk of damaging the mandibular nerve or maxillary sinuses. The operation is postponed if any inflammatory processes or neoplasms are found.
If the bone tissue has been subject to atrophy, a sinus lift procedure is performed on the upper jaw before the two-stage implantation takes place. Other segments and the lower jaw - using bone blocks or the GBR technique.
The first stage of treatment. The intervention is performed under local or general anaesthesia.
- The mucosa is dissected, the gingival flap is lifted and the bone tissue is exposed.
- A seat is made with a drill, where a two-stage implant with a cap is inserted.
- In case of a minimally invasive procedure, the gum is punctured instead of being dissected and a root substitute is inserted. The surgery is performed with a surgical guide.
- In case of an insufficient tissue volume, some bone graft material is added.
- The gum is sutured.
The first stage of the classic implantation procedure lasts from 30 to 60 minutes. Healing and removal of sutures take place after 7 days. The osseointegration of the artificial root takes up to 6 months.
After the complete integration of the implant, the second surgery is appointed to uncover the endosteal implant.
- The mucosa is dissected again to gain access to the root substitute.
- A mucosa cylinder is placed instead of the cap, which is worn for 7 days. The mucosa cylinder ensures that mucosa is positioned evenly around the crown.
- Removing the mucosa cylinder and placing an abutment.
- A temporary crown.
After two or three months, a permanent crown or bridge prosthesis is placed. The final prosthetic procedure lasts for 1-2 days. The implant uncovering surgery takes up to 60 minutes. The classic implantation process may last for 4 to 8 months, or even 1 year in complicated cases.
Pros and cons of the classic technique
In order to understand which implantation technique is better, the immediate implantation or the long classic one, let us look at the advantages of the latter:
- An alternative solution to the single-stage method, when it is necessary to achieve high functionality of posterior teeth.
- Reliability: achieving good integration of artificial roots due to a delayed load.
- Superb aesthetics: an even gum contour is achieved, which is needed for the correct placement of prostheses; individual two-stage implant.
- It is possible to place a single crown or a dental bridge structure without artificial gingiva.
The disadvantage of this technology is the time it takes. Unlike classic implantation, immediate implants can be placed in one stage in 3 months at most, whereas two-stage implant placement will take up to 1 year. The immediate placement technology cannot be called classic - it consists of simultaneously extracting a damaged element and immediately placing an artificial root into the socket. Basal implantation does not require extraction. No bone grafting is needed, and osseointegration occurs faster.
- Two surgeries during treatment.
- Intrabone implants are placed after bone grafting - bone tissue restoration is required to match volume requirements.
- Long rehabilitation.
The technology does not allow for immediate functional loading, meaning that the tooth remains non-functional until the final prosthetics.
Single-stage or two-stage implantation cannot be prescribed if the following conditions have been diagnosed:
- Blood disorders.
- Mental disorders.
- Immune system and bone tissue diseases.
- Pregnancy or a lactation period.
- Inflammatory processes in the mouth cavity and sinuses.
Two-stage intrabone implantation is not recommended to patients with periodontal tissue inflammation or smokers.
The differences between single-stage and two-stage implantation
Single-stage immediate surgery follows the protocol where a decayed tooth is extracted and an artificial root is placed. A temporary crown can be placed after gum healing or on the implantation day, which allows for immediate functional loading. If single stage basal implants are to be placed, it is of no importance when the tooth was lost. The key consideration is that bone grafting is not performed.
Classic implantation includes two phases of dental arch defect elimination. The crown is placed only after the osseintegration of the artificial root, i.e. 3 to 4 months after the first procedure.
The cost of services
Implantation prices at Axioma Dental Clinic depend on how complicated the clinical picture is, taking into consideration additional bone tissue restoration procedures and whether treating oral conditions is necessary. Before implanting artificial roots, decayed and loose teeth are extracted.
The cost will depend on the system used in the classic surgery protocol.
Axioma Dental Clinic would like to invite you to a consultation where we will be happy to answer all questions of interest. Dental implantation is performed by doctors with extensive experience and high qualifications.
Doctors in this area
Tell about us: