Dental restoration gives you a chance to regain a flawless appearance of a damaged dental arch and restore its functionality as close to natural as possible. Due to modern technologies, it has become possible to achieve aesthetics and perfectly imitate the colour, shape and translucence. Defects are eliminated using composite materials, which are difficult to differentiate from natural enamel and dentine.
Dental restoration - types and techniques
There are several techniques used for the restoration of damaged or injured teeth. The approach is selected depending on the clinical picture and the number of defective teeth. In the direct method, most work is done in the patient’s mouth cavity. After the procedure, the crown looks identical to the neighbouring teeth.
- Composite dental restoration. A photopolymer is applied to fill the external side of the surface. The procedure is performed in one visit to the clinic, eliminating minor defects in shape and shade.
- Dental inlay. It is used to restore the internal part which is subjected to chewing loads, mostly posterior teeth. Temporary or permanent inlays replace missing fragments or cover 50% of the surface.
- Inlay core. It is used to restore a severely decayed tooth for anterior and posterior teeth. A metal post shaped as a needle is inserted into the canal to provide a foundation for subsequent restoration.
The indirect method involves taking an impression, a virtual model of the damaged teeth, with subsequent placement in the mouth cavity. Onlays and crowns, which are fixed taking into account anatomical features, perfectly imitate a healthy dental arch. This method of restoration saves the patient’s time and reduces the number of visits to the clinic:
- Crowns are prosthetic structures which are placed on a filed tooth or a post. They are applied in case of severe dental damage, perfectly replicating the shape and colour.
- Lumineers are super-thin veneers used to hide defects. .
- Veneers are an innovative dental restoration technology, which is more expensive than the other techniques, but their use is justified by aesthetically perfect results. Veneer restoration removes defects in shape, colour and size.
When choosing a technique, the dentist takes into account anatomical features and contraindications.
The purpose of these techniques is to eliminate defects in the smile zone, avoid prosthetics and tooth extraction, strengthen the teeth structure and prolong their life. Besides applying crowns, veneers and lumineers, aesthetic buildup is used. This technique consists in a gradual multiple application of a composite material on the surface, resulting in elimination of chips, interdental spaces and cracks. This technique is applicable in case of minor defects and will restore the shape and color.
Restoration with braces may be needed when it is necessary to correct an abnormal position of teeth or abnormal occlusion. An orthodontic appliance is used to exert pressure and move teeth gradually in the required direction. The appliance is attached to the external or internal side of the arch.
Indications for dental restoration
By using up-to-date methods, the following defects can be eliminated:
- Aesthetically unattractive features - configuration, abnormal location in the arch, crooked teeth.
- Enamel cracking, chipping, damage, large interdental spaces.
- Loss of a natural shade - discoloration, spots, a yellow stain.
- Thinned enamel.
- Unattractive shape - excessively large or small teeth which are irregularly located.
- Eliminating advanced caries consequences - after microscopic dental treatment, it is necessary to restore function and aesthetics.
- A visually seen boundary has appeared between the old filling material and enamel.
If restoration is performed by a reputable clinic with high quality materials, the result will last for many years not requiring any correction.
Selecting materials for dental restoration
This is an important stage when the doctor is evaluating and thoroughly selecting a material making sure that its characteristics are in line with the natural features. The following materials can be used as a dentine substitute:
- Glass ionomer cement reinforced with resin ensures high transparency which is close to natural;
- Compomers combine the properties of strong composites and cement.
Microhybrid composites are used as enamel substitutes with strong resistance to grinding damage. These materials are highly biocompatible and offer high strength. Due to their application technology, the rate of adhesion of the composite to the enamel is very high and is not at all weaker than the natural value.
- A wide choice of colours;
- Strength: chewing function restoration;
- Using composites for restoration preserves healthy tissues;
- A reasonable price;
- Resistant to chipping and stains.
A properly selected composite will match the density of natural tissues and retain its properties for years.
Restoration of front teeth - specific characteristics
Anterior teeth need to satisfy the most demanding aesthetic requirements. They need to create a nice smile and have no visible defects.
The procedure is divided into several stages:
- Cutting edge restoration, often using a Si index.
- Restoring the central part of the crown - an exact imitation of the dentin plate with different colours and an enamel layer.
- A special coating is applied to the vestibular surface, making it identical to the natural tooth colour.
High quality restoration of shape and colour, ensuring natural translucence and damage protection.
Contraindications for dental restoration
The relative contraindications for the procedure are:
- Direct occlusion and tooth abrasion - the procedure is possible after occlusion correction
- Deep overbite in combination with a complete contact of the lower and upper teeth.
- Poor oral hygiene.
Restoration is not performed if the patient has a pacemaker and is allergic to composites and material components. The procedure is not applied if it is impossible to isolate the tooth from water.
Axioma Dental Clinic would like to invite patients to a consultation and restoration of complicated arch defects. You can obtain a superb smile and improve your quality of life without pain or loss of time and at moderate prices.
Tell about us: